Friday, August 15, 2008

Won't you be my neighbor!

One question, how well do you know your neighbor?? Let me give you a little background before I go into what occurred yesterday. I love the neighborhood in which we live, but our actual street, well, to put it lightly STRUGGLES big time. We live in an area full of young families and kids, but my street is "unique". You NEVER see anyone outside. Every time my Mom comes to visit she always says she doesn't believe people actual live in the houses because she never sees anyone. She is right. Whenever I see a neighbor (which is rare) I wave, say hello, and often get out and talk to them. I try to be friendly. It's not like I'm waiting for someone to throw a big block party. Trust me, that will never happen. That only happens on all the other streets. Well, Dolores and her sister live across the street from me. She is older (maybe late 60s) and every holiday we bring her a treat and I talk to her every time I see her outside. I brought her cookies at Easter time (I was 8 months pregnant) and talked to her for probably 5 minutes.

This was the conversation I had with Dolores yesterday:

Me: Getting out of my car and carrying Bradli in her car seat, like I do 10 times a day. "Hi Dolores!"
Dolores: "Hi. Who's baby is that?
Me: Thinking to my self, "Did she really just ask me that??" "She's mine."
Dolores: "She's your's?? When did you have her?
Me: "3 months ago."
Dolores: "When were your pregnant?"
Me: "Ummm, 9 months before that. I had her on Mother's Day."
Dolores: "I was wondering who's baby you have been carrying around. I thought you were just babysitting."
Me: Thinking to myself, "Babysitting a newborn for the last 3 months that looks exactly like Jaden??" "Yep, she's mine. Don't you remember me bringing you cookies when I was 8 months pregnant."
Dolores: "I feel like a flippin' idiot. I didn't even know you were pregnant. I'm going to have to ask my sister if she knew you were pregnant."
Me: Are you kidding me? Did that really just happen?? I've got to call my Mom and tell her this story. She's going to die!!

12 comments:

hillary nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trisha said...

When I was about 6 months pregnant with Cade I was talking to my neighbor outside. I mentioned something about shopping for the baby that day and she said "You're pregnant? I just thought you were fat." Um, Thanks...

Lisa said...

I had the same experience. I go to the post office at least 2 times a week for Shade stuff. The ladies there all know me and the kids. They give the kids stickers and we always go to the bakery for cookies (they are free and it's how I bribe the kids not to be mad that we have to mail Shade stuff). I usually pick Audrey up from school and then we go. Since having Brady I ususally wait for Dave to come home ad then go. Last week I brought all 3 kids for the first time and the main lady says:
"Who's baby is that? He didn't come from you."???

Thinking she is kidding I say "Yeh, we picked him up in the baby isle" (background for those of you that don't live in Canada. The post office here is located in the grocery store, which is VERY handy when you don't have anything for dinner yet and it's 4:30)

She looked at me funny and I realized she wan't kidding!

I told her he was born in June and they all looked at me funny. Then I realized that in the winter (which ended in April-May) I was wearing my big coat and after that I had boxes in front of my stomach and then the counter is about waist high so they never realized I was pregnant. I felt like those pregnant stars on TV that always have a bag or box in front so you can't tell they are 8 months pregnant.

Funny!! I guess they just thought my face was growing becasuse I was stopping in the candy isle a little too often over the past few months!

Emily M said...

once you pick up breaking dawn there are many parts in the book where you wont want to put it down. so maybe you should wait for the olympics. lol
i am almost done with it. just a few more chapters. :D

Leah said...

Probably the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Thanks for the laugh. She's crazy.

Nancy said...

I think you should take it as a compliment that you didn't look very pregnant! Also I hope Dolores doesn't read your blog. I always end up on the random street too, someday I'm hoping to make it to the big time and have a block party type of neighborhood myself!

Tim and Jennifer said...

Hilarious. It's because you (and Lisa) stay so skinny during pregnancy! Can you believe the news about Curtis? Haha, I seriously had no clue when I was talking to you!

abbyandcompany said...

Well, you didn't look very pregnant to me in any pics, but I wasn't standing in front of you having a conversation. But you should join the gravy train with the rest of us pregnant fatties and then everyone will know you are knocked up!

familia Bybaran said...

Oh my goodness. Classic! Seems like she's got a few chips missing. I get yelled at every day by my neighbors about something I am doing wrong as a parent. I have to leave Cyra downstairs as I take Lucia up to our door, which is 8 stairs away, but every time someone yells at me for leaving Cyra "unattended." Give me a break. I am watching her the whole time and am about 3 feet away. I would like to see them try to carry a stroller and a toddler and a baby up the stairs at the same time.

Audrey Crisp said...

that story rocked! hahahaha

Audrey Crisp said...

cute new baby btw!!!

Likely said...

More like Dumb-lores.

seriously lady, get a life!