So let me start from the beginning. A few months ago my brother-in-law Dave decided to do a triathlon thanks to the convincing of his Dad. It would be a guys weekend with his Dad, brother, and brother-in-laws from Canada. This got Doug and Joe thinking about getting in on the action. I was all for it because that way we could go to CA. I didn't think we would get to go over the summer because we had just been there in April. Doug was pumped which got me thinking, "Hmmmm maybe I'll give it a try." I tried to recruit a few of my sisters but even with all of my convincing and trickery I was still told, "NO!!". I knew I could count on my best girl Suzanne. I gave her a call and she thought I was crazy but was totally in. She signed us up right away so there was NO chance of turning back. She even printed out a training schedule, which we followed for maybe a half of a day- oops. Fast forward a few months and the day was one sleep away as I would explain to Jaden. The night before, I got a phone call from Suzanne. She had had a CRAZY week at work, lost her purse, and cell phone. She didn't have a wet suit, bike or bike helmet at 9PM the night before. This wouldn't stop her. We were able to scrounge up all the necessary items at about 10PM. Now it was time to get some sleep because leaving at 5AM would come early!
Early, early, early at the race. Excited but NERVOUS!! We would be doing a 500 yard swim, 18 mile bike, and a 5K. Difficult for 2 girls that didn't do much training.
It was crazy how many people we ran into that we knew. I guess we had pretty good odds since there were over 1200 people racing. I'm just glad Suzanne and I didn't end at 1199 or 1200.
Joe
Jeff
Chuck
Dave
Tom
Me- The bike about killed me.I have NO idea what my problem was but everyone was passing me, even 2 girls on a beach cruiser- no joke. Seeing everyone as I started my run helped motivate me sooo much. I was able to end on a pretty good run time. Lesson learned, train, train, train!!
Can we call ourselves triathletes now?? I think so :)P.S. Next post, Matthew and Brooke's Wedding. It will have to be done tomorrow since it's about 1 AM. What am I thinking??
9 comments:
You have so inspired me. Training for one is the only way I'm afraid I'll ever get back in shape after all these crazy babies. so I've set a goal and seeing your pictures got me so stoked. Sadly, I won't look as sexy in spandex as you guys!
You are so inspiring!! Maybe someday I'll do one.
You look HOT (that would be triple underlined if I could) in those bike shorts! Seriously, you look pro. I just signed up for the Montrose tri and swam for my first time today and it KILLED me! Yikes - I have a long way to go before I can do 500 m without stopping! Call me soon with all your training tips :)
That's awesome! Congrats!
I seriously get emotional seeing these pictures because I know what it's like to feel those nerves and seeing that picture of you running with your niece made me emotional! It's such an emotional rush to do these races, isn't it? I am so proud of you!
I am so intimidated to do a triathlon but maybe someday I'll do one with you when you come down here again.
I am so impressed. Those are some long distances AND you didn't train much, seriously.
Did you have your bike on the right gears? On my first tri, I felt like everyone passed me. Now I love bike riding. They are hard, but addicting. Way to go mama!
YEAH!!! Sounds awesome. I was horrible on the bike too, and remember being shocked at how many people were flying past me.
So glad you did it and loved it. Maybe next time I'll join you.
I am so impressed...you are awesome!
Dang girl. I want to be like you!
Post a Comment