Thursday, December 07, 2006

In the Footsteps of Meat Pie Genius'

I did it!!! I made my Great-Grandma Lois' meat pies for our Young Women's activity on Christmas traditions. This is our traditional Christmas meal. Lois made these when she lived in Quebec, Canada and the tradition has carried on. We don't do the typical turkey or ham. We have meat pies, waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, sweet rolls, etc. It's the meal I look forward to each year. I was so afraid to make them. I was on the phone with my Grandma Renee (a meat pie genius) for quite awhile and a number of times. She coached me through the ordeal and gave me the confidence I was LACKING!! She makes her pie crust homemade, I was NOT going to even try, I went store bought. I served them to the Young Women and they were a hit!! The true test however, was my sister Cara- a meat pie coinsurer. As she took the first bite, my stomach turned "Would she gag or gobble it up?" No gagging took place and she said they were just like Grandma's, minus the homemade pie crust. What a relief!
Fresh from the oven.
Grandpa Ernie (Lois' son) and the genius- Grandma Renee
YUMMY!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy we'll have to get Lisa to makes those for us. ha,ha.

I love the pictures of Jayden, what a cuttie! My kids were unsure about Santa when they were that little, maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

what is in a meat pie? I mean , what kind of meat? I thought it would be some sortof beef but the picture makes it look like chicken or something. Maybe I am way off and there really isn't any meat in a meat pie.

I want to come over for Christmas brunch at your place!

Are you in YW?

Anonymous said...

Meat pie, huh .... Sounds, well, um, interesting. :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it. I went as far as to get the recipe the 1st year we were not going to be there for Christmas but chickened out with actually making them. How was it without the homemade cruts, because I can seriously taste it right now and the crust is a huge part. What did the Young Women think? You have motived me to have meat pies this year. I'm going to try it. Grandma better have her cell phone near by so I can call for help. I love Jaden's Santa picture. Carter was too sick this year. I guess there is still time to bring him. Have fun with Cara!!

Anonymous said...

You've got to post the recipe! Meat pie sounds intruiging.

The Saunders Family said...

Good job Shauna. It looks really good. I think Lisa is going to give it a try this year.

nena said...

I can't believe how much Jayden looks like Carter! Yummy meat pie. Is Cara there yet? Hello if you are.

Anonymous said...

Yum, I'm hungry! I want a piece right now!

Kara said...

I've never had a meat pie before. Sounds like if I'm going to try it for the first time I should come to your house!