Wednesday, May 16, 2007

#5- The End- Segovia, Barcelona, and Madrid

I'm really wanting to get this travel log done, so those of you that visit this blog and are getting sick of Spain- sorry. It's been great reliving our trip again and I'm glad I'm documenting it, but enough already!

We left Madrid for a day trip to Segovia. Once again, a very neat town. It's famous for this Roman Aquaduct that was built over 2000 years ago and still stands. Notice the piece of pizza in Doug's hand- STORY:

I was of course starved since we hadn't eaten so Doug took me to Telepizza (like a Dominos). I had to go to the bathroom sooooo bad so I made my way to the restroom. I get there and the lights don't work, so I get the camera and turn it on (don't worry, no pictures) so there is at least a little light. I proceed to get toilet paper and there's none there, so I'm sitting there in the dark wondering what to do. Don't worry if a lady walks in on me in the dark and all I can say is, "No papel". She says something in Spanish which I don't understand and I sit waiting for a good 5-10 minutes. Finally I hear Doug say, "Shauna are you alright?". I tell him the situation and he finds me some napkins- better than nothing. I go to wash my hands and there sitting next to the sink which I can barely see is some toilet paper that the lady must have brought up. It was in a completely different part of the bathroom, how was I supposed to get it? I know bad visual, but it was quite the experience at Telepizza!

Trying to liven' up the photos!




The Alcazar de Segovia- the rumor is that Sleeping Beauty's castle is a replica of this castle. I didn't see any fairies, but I did see. . .


This is for those that watched the last season of The Amazing Race. I now totally understand how Charla fell a NUMBER of times when she had to wear the knight's armor, I mean look how pointed the shoes were. Doug and I were dying laughing and as I write this I can still see Charla wiping out and hearing Mirna say, "Hurry up Charla, my friend!!"


View from the top of the castle.

Not only do we have hundreds of pictures, we have it on video as well. I know a little obsessed, but priceless!

That night we had the very special experience of going to Ima's piso for an authentic Spanish meal and Family Home Evening with her nonmember family. It was probably the most spiritual night I have ever had. Doug still says the feelings he felt that night are undescribable for him. It was incredible!

The next day Doug took me around the areas he had served in as a Missionary. This is a chapel that is free-standing, hard to come by in Madrid.

The Old Mission Office that not only Doug spent a number of months in, but my Uncle Mike also worked there when he was a Missionary- crazy!

Real Madrid Stadium- We were looking for David Beckham and Posh- no luck. Lisa, notice my pillow, it went with me everywhere.

Cool Metro Station in Madrid

Off to Barcelona on an over-night train ride. We had never done anything like this and it was quite the experience. There were 6 people to a room and when we awoke the next morning (about 7:30am) we were in Barcelona.


Spaniards are night people, so when we got to Barcelona, nothing was open for a good 3 hours, so we walked and walked and walked!! Barcelona is my kind of city, on the water!


I wanted that yacht so bad!


We walked to the Sagrada Familia which is a Cathedral that was designed my Gaudi in the 1800's and is still not finished.


Coming back from the Cathedral we got so lost and even ending up at the Barcelona Zoo. Our feet were killing us! I guess we could have taken a taxi.


We went up this tower where you could take a tram ride and see all of Barcelona, but we just went up to the top and took pictures. You got the same view for half the price.





We then went to an open market where I had the best Papaya fruit juice and we saw a lot of interesting animal parts, beautiful flowers, yummy sweets, and fresh veggies. We were exhausted and headed back to the train station to take the over-night train back to Madrid. We both slept like babies!


Our last full day in Madrid we had to have authentic Spanish Paella which I really thought was quite yummy.

We stayed at the hostel at the Madrid Temple which was wonderful. The temple looked incredible at night.


Going home! They planted an olive tree on the temple grounds after Doug had left Spain.

Getting on the Metro to go to the airport.

Doug was obsessed with Fanta in Spain. Apparently it's not the same in the States.

On the plane, working on Sudoku.

My favorite people from the last few days:
1- She just looked so peaceful.

2- This little guy didn't look so peaceful. Poor kids on a leash!

3- He was on every billboard in Barcelona- too funny!


4- This cutie was everywhere and I loved every minute of it, even when I was hungry! Thank you for the most unforgettable trip ever. You did the most amazing job planning our adventure and I loved seeing the places that have shaped you into the person you are today. I'm even more in love with you- thank you a million times! One more thing, we could so win The Amazing Race!

Next stop, REALITY!!!

15 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

Hey Shauna! Love the pictures again, you're hot AND hilarious.
And- I didn't know you had a sister living in Calgary! You visit her sometimes?? I know, the weather is brutal 9 months out of the year. There is a slight chance we may end up living there in another 5 years! THen we could hang out!

Anonymous said...

I loved the montage of pictures and stories! Great memories for sure :)

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Hopefully Doug will read the end of it! That is so cute and YOU look so cute in all these pics! How fun of a trip and even more... what an incredible memory!

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Hopefully Doug will read the end of it! That is so cute and YOU look so cute in all these pics! How fun of a trip and even more... what an incredible memory!

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Hopefully Doug will read the end of it! That is so cute and YOU look so cute in all these pics! How fun of a trip and even more... what an incredible memory!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't stop laughing thinking of Charla......I can't believe you brought that NASTY pillow everywhere with you!! How did it get through customs? Your trip looked awesome, I'm jealous! I can't wait to see your video. Doug is such the spainard! Do you know how I can get in touch with the hottie on the billboards??!!

Cara

Amy Christine said...

I loved all your recaps and pictures. What an AMAZING trip!! Ben served his mission in Spain too - maybe we'll have to take a little adventure there ourselves (maybe you and Doug could just email your itinerary over so we don't have to plan anything). I'm so glad you had such a great time! Love you!

Robyn said...

Shauna, I don't want the trip to end. I have really enjoyed reading about it! You DO look good in all the pictures. I love seeing the sights AND your outfits! What a beautiful trip. Barcelona looks gorgeous. Did you ever read Da Vinci Code? If not, read it now and you'll know where most the places are that he references in the book. Good job taking us all with you on your trip through your blog. What a great husband you have to plan this trip and share parts of his mission with you.

Kara said...

Not if Chris and I were on it too! ha ha Sounds like an amazing trip. I'm so glad you got to do it.

Leah said...

What a sweet trip Shauna. I'm so glad you documented it so well. Geoff and I did a tour of southern France where he served his mission and it is my best vacation ever. I am itching to go back, espeically after seeing all your pictures!

abbyandcompany said...

I loved it, but the whole time I kept thinking, no love for Hondo? Whatever. And when are you going to put your email on the contact me page????

Nancy said...

You two are so cute, looks like you had quite the adventure. Once again, I am jealous.

Lorraine said...

Shauna- We saw your family last night at Eleanor's wedding and Heather gave me the address to your blog! We love your Spain photos! Drew and I just got back from a Spain trip in March, and our photos are posted to drewandlorraine.blogspot.com. We are pretty sure we are going to be moving to South Pasadena next year, so we need to chat soon!! XOXO Lorraine Rossell Galvin

Megan and Eric Barnhurst said...

I am most impressed that I did not see one repeat outfit on this whole trip! You were adorable in every picture. My dad used to call me and my sisters "trolls" when we traveled because we didn't try very hard to look cute. Nice job!

The Giles said...

Shauna -

I been gone for a bit and just read your whole Spain trip. HOW MUCH FUN!!! It all looks so wonderful. I'm glad you were able to go, I'm sure it was just so much fun to Doug too. Thanks for the pictures and travel log. I loved it.