Sunday, June 24, 2007

Starts a Little Deep, so BEWARE!

I was just lying in bed and decided to pull out some of my old journals. I don't know what it is, but I feel like in certain aspects of my life I have moved backwards rather than forwards. It's weird, but as I was reading about old boyfriends and crushes- too hilarious and uncomfortable to share, reading about dear friends that I am no longer in contact with, reading about the fears I had as I was about to start my first teaching job, I wondered where I am right now. I guess I feel lost at times. I miss teaching. It was such a part of who I am that I feel a part of me is missing. There's a void that needs to be filled and I don't know how to fill it. I know that's dramatic, but it's true. I'm in a funk and need an out. I guess a little self-examination has to begin.

Now that was deep for the normal silly Shauna, so I guess I'll include the very fun weekend we had. Doug had to work up in Steamboat, so Jaden and I tagged along for an adventure/ pre- Anniversary Weekend. We hiked about 8 miles round trip up to 2 waterfalls that were gorgeous. Thank goodness Doug carried Jaden because if I had to, we would have made it just past the parking lot. It was a pretty good hike to say the least!


In front of the first waterfall

Yeah, I was struggling a bit!

Jaden loved it. He loved head butting Doug and touching Doug's sweaty hair- gross!
Finally to the 2nd waterfall
Once we got there Jaden had to throw rocks!
So beautiful!!

Saturday we swam at the community pool and tried to keep up with Jaden.

On our way home we stopped at Winterpark and Jaden and I rode the Alpine Slide. It was an adventure taking Jaden up on the chairlift and riding down! We both LOVED it!

I still can't believe we are celebrating 5 years on Friday! It has been an ADVENTURE to say the least!!

12 comments:

courtneyb said...

well I'm glad I'm not the only one!! One thing I found that helped me (if I understand where your coming from) I had to set goals for accomplishing new things. sorry for giving unsolicited advice

will you please take me to that waterfall? WOW! that is amazing.

Clair said...

Girl....you're going through exactly what kara and I have been going through - a sort of mid-life crisis. It happens to the best of us. And we all have to cope differently...mine was to go skydiving and be as crazy as can be. So far it's helped, but it's been a month and I'm STILL going through it. Call me sometime. xoxo :)

Jenny said...

that hike looks fun! i am amazed jaden was fine with being carried and playing with dougs sweaty hair haha. how great is the alpine slide? i've been on one in park city that was super fun

Megan and Eric Barnhurst said...

I totally hear you about going backwards in some aspects of life, I was way more focused on self-improvement before I became a mom. I do think setting goals is the key - I guess that's why I run races, to feel a sense of accomplishment. You are awesome, don't forget that!

I am way homesick for CO right now after seeing that waterfall. Enjoy the scenery for me!

Anonymous said...

Shauna, you are still a teacher. Jaden learns from you everyday. But, I know what you mean. Like Megan I too run races and do new things like Spinning to try and improve myself. I think much of my eating disorder problems stem from struggling with self-identity. I had to dive deep into myself to find out what I was really good at and go for it. Look for something that you want to do and go for it. Sorry for so much advice.

I can't wait to be in CO. I think Jeff and I have to go on that hike. It looks awesome.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I can see the ecoli swarming doug as he swims around in that kiddie pool. That water color isn't natural. It king of looks like doug is swimming in his own urine patch.

Annie said...

Joe and I were laughing so hard at the comment you left on his blog!! I am really impressed with your hiking skills...looks like you guys had a fun weekend!Those water falls are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Shauna, I'm so glad you are coming sooo soon to visit. It's natural to get in funks...I find myself there sometimes too but a 5 year anniversay? That is an amazing accomplishment!! Uhmm, I don't think Jen, Kate Hudson, Britney or any other of our role models can say that-- just kidding. Lots of love!

Anonymous said...

Your weekend looks so fun! I LOVE those Alpine Slides! I have not been on one of those in forever! Your hiking pics are beautiful! You guys are such the athletic family!!! Also- Nice legs Shauna!

familia Bybaran said...

First shallow: You look hot in the hiking pics and it's so gorgeous there.

Second, deep: That's why I love you Shauna because you are so much fun, but you are also not afraid to share some of the deep down stuff. I am glad you shared that today because I have been struggling lately with that, but on the other end. I have a great career. Love getting paid and having my own office and assistant, etc, but almost every Monday, I am close to tears as I leave my little Cyra at home. I can't wait for this to come to an end. It's torture some days. Today was one of them. No one is forcing me to be here as I am sure no one forced your decisions. They were decisions, but they come with some pain. I hope to transition to full-time motherhood soon and I am sure I will go through what you are going through because it's hard to measure goals and find "fulfillment" as easily in that than it is in a "career"--especially teaching.

Thanks for sharing that. I hope you find comfort that either choice is a struggle, but that you are definitely doing something very important now.

Kara said...

Steamboat, how I miss thee. Thy beautiful trees, thy wonderous mountains, thy stinkith from hot springs but I will visit you still.

Shauna, you're wonderful. Self examination can only bring growth. Don't be surprised if you grow in areas you didn't even plan on. Much fun in the many adventures that await you.

devonasaurus rex said...

well that trip sounds almost as exciting as my vacation. actually no, no it doesn't. why? cause i be in hawaii. i'm still looking for kate, i'll get back to you when i find jack...